Thursday, February 24, 2005

More Things I "Learned" About Quantum Computing

Alternative Title: "Put my name down on the list of people who just don't 'get' quantum computing'"

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss

Another day, another lecuture on quantum computing. Again, I felt that the world started working differently when I walked out of lecture then it did before I walked in. Of course the worst part will be when we are tested over some of this material. I figure if I start going to office hours now (before I even have the take home exam) by the time the take home exam is due I might have a slightly less fuzzy "understanding" of what is going on. And of course, by understanding I mean instead of thick mud I have slightly watered down mud.

Here is the basic points covered in the lecture:
- Quantum computing is Reversible
- Reversible computing consumes less power
- Schrodinger's cat illustaration is flawed
- Schrodinger did make a useful formula
- NAND and NOR are the two universal gates
- Universal gates = any other gate can be made from that gate
- Universal gate in quantum computing called Toffoli's gate.
- It is impossible to make quantum universal gate with less than three inputs/outputs
- The quantum universal gate must be reversible

By the way, here's more about Schrodinger's cat

Someones collection of quantum resource pages contants some basic information.

I heard some "chatter" that people enjoyed the last significantly lighter item so here is another for your amusement (this is an older Mac Hall comic, but what I would call a classic).

Also, I had to comment on this article - "Ya think?!?" Do you have to get hit by the tree to see that it is in front of you. My question is - did anyone who honestly think it would work?

No comments: