Friday, October 1, 2004

Quote 5: "Remember, the shadows are just as important as the light."

"Remember, the shadows are just as important as the light." - Jane Eyre (Jane Eyre, 1996)

Although this quote did not appear in the book, it is one of the best quotes from the movie. The timing is also extremely forshadowing of later parts of the movie. In the movie Jane is teaching Adele to draw. Jane states this to Adele after Mr. Brocklehurst asks to speak with Jane. It is a statement that completely fits in context with the action, but has a hidden meaning. (Which was driven by Mr. Brocklehurst next statement - but I don't want to ruin the whole movie for you so I won't tell you what it is). I like statements with a double meaning. It is like a two for one sale. Who could turn that down?

Anyway, the real question is: Are the shadows and dark parts of one's life as important as the lighter and happier parts? I think that there are. If there were no shadows or dark, then how would we really enjoy the happy times? Of course, I (like the rest of the world) wouldn't mind less dark and more light. But, I don't think I really have many skeltons in my closet as they say. Which leads me to my next question: who really are they? I have heard the term "as they say" and I have always wondered about that. I think that is one of those unanswerable questions and totally off my topic.

So before I divert further from the topic I will end my blog here. Hope you are having some light parts of your life today. Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog!

And to steal a classic line from SNL and rewrap it - "I am Stephany Coffman-Wolph and - you're not."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephany,

I believe it was Mr. Rochester who was with Jane in that scene of the film, not Mr. Brocklehurst.

I do so love the film version of Jane Eyre as well as Charlotte Bronte's novel.

I think my favorite character in the novel is Helen Burns. Sometimes I will pick the book up now again just to read the chapters that have her in it.