Wednesday, October 6, 2004

Quote 8: "They all pretend to be very high-minded..."

"They all pretend to be very high-minded. They claim that their sole aim in excavation is to uncover the mysteries of the past and to add to the store of human knowledge. They lie. What they really want is a spectacular discovery, so they can get their names in the newspapers and inspire envy and hatred in the hearts of their rivals." -- Elizabeth Peters (Deeds of the Disturber)

This quote is from another great author - Elizabeth Peters. She writes a great series about Amelia Peabody. I have not read all the books - yet, but the ones I have read are wonderful. Why did I pick this quote? Because I think this quote is about a truth of human life. As humans we get a lot of satisfaction out of doing well and getting recognized for it. It maybe the darker side that we don't really want to think about, but it is still true. I have seen this a lot in my years of school. We compete to be the best, to get the A, to get the highest score, etc.

Well, thanks for stopping by today and reading my blog! Until next time.

No comments: