Thursday, June 30, 2005

Caml light

"You treat a disease, you win, you lose. You treat a person I'll guarantee you'll win." - Hunter Patch Adams (Patch Adams)

In the one class I am taking this summer I am learning a new language ML. We are going to use Caml Light for Unix. There are lots of versions of Caml Light (PC and Mac) available out there.

What is ML (or Caml)? "Caml is a general-purpose programming language". Basically it is all about the functions. There aren't variable names - everything is a function. Everything has a return type. Of course, ML's equivalent to C's void is unit. So when you read in a file it actually returns 'unit' to you. Which the first time it happens is a little wacky.

So today I am hanging out at the union - the sun is shining and within a few minutes a horrible storm begins. And by storm I mean flooding hard rain. It doesn't appear to be letting up very much either. The only plus has been the wind stopped blowing as hard. The rain has let up a little (when it first started people were coming in soaked). I am just hopping it completely stops by the time I head to class at 1 PM.

Of course, while I was at the union Ken and I had had an interesting experience you can read about on his blog. By the way, I would like to thank his for linking to my blog. Ducky!

For those who are talking an AI course this semester: an article about Warren McCulloch.

Someone who won't get elected next time. Favorite part of the article: "he mistakenly sent out an e-mail message that referred to his constituents as 'idiots.'".

No comments: