Sunday, August 21, 2005

Sunday News Bulletin

"The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change." - FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers

Happy weekend! Of course, I feel bad for all of you who start school on Monday/Tuesday. OK, let me be honest - I don't feel that bad ;-) Sorry. Of course, I might be around later in the week to drop off a rough draft of my paper (yep, still working on it - mostly because I am obsessive and insane). However, it is really wacky not taking classes. I sort of miss it actually. (Again, yes I am insane). I like taking new things and having new problems to work on. OK, so I think I will stop rambling about it before you all get mad at me for enjoying grad school. Here are the links I know you really came for:

"Spacewalkers Retrieve Radiation Monitor"

"Fine Fabric: New, fast way to make sheets of nanotubes"

Watch out for the squirrel because "the claws are very sharp"

I wanted to point of out this article specifically: "US women still face bias in science-report". I understand this is a problem - heck I was in engineering. The only problem I have with their suggestions - I have to hear "you are only in this area because you are female" comments. These comments arise because there are special "conscious efforts to recruit women" and then you are right back were you started. I don't know the solution. Actually, I am beginning to think there is no solution other then the passage of time. One day there will not be a need for these kinds of programs. Until then, women need to go into these fields and stay in these fields. Never give in - because that's how the "other people" win.

No comments: