Monday, December 13, 2004

Straining Silicon Wafers

Alternative Title: The article heard by the computer geeks around the world.

I was beginning to think that there were not going to be any advances in the computer chip world unless a new material was developed. Well, I guess I was wrong on that one. Recently, IBM and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) have improved silicon straining and increase hence increase the power of the chips without significantly increasing the cost of making the chip.

According to the article, the process of straining silicon wafers was originally developed by Intel 2 years ago. It is amazing to me that improvements continue to be made. Computer science is an every changing field and always improving field.

One exam down, two exams remaining. Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog.

No comments: