Saturday, February 17, 2007

It's a Dell!

"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward." - Lewis Carroll (The Queen, Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There)

Currently Listening To: "Mo Ghile Mear" by Celtic Woman

Currently Reading: Better Than Sex by Susan Holtzer (which happens to be the final book in the Anneke Haagen series).

Will be reading soon:
Deception Point by Dan Brown
Digital Fortress by Dan Brown
Break No Bones by Kathy Reichs

About a week ago I tried to turn on my (Windows) laptop and it seemed to get "stuck" on the Windows sign-in screen. I thought it was a bit odd. Anyway, after several hours of analysis (and digging out all those disks that you get with a laptop by never use until something goes wrong) I have discovered that a portion of the hard drive is bad. The computer is about 4 years old and has received quiet a bit of wear.

I decided that it was time to purchase a new laptop. I probably won't have purchased a laptop midterm like this since I do have my PowerBook. However, I teach a Visual Basic 2005 and well not having a Windows machine is a bit inconvient. So after great consideration I purchased a new Dell XPS M1210 last night.

It is scheduled to be delieved in a couple of weeks (they gave me a date, but I can't think of it off-hand). Once I get it, I am sure I will force onto you, the reader, to learn all kinds of informaiton regarding the laptop that you really don't care about ;-) On a side note, does anyone know a good place to get a replacement hard drive for my old Dell laptop? If I can find a reasonable priced replacement then I have geeky plans for the old laptop.

A Bit of New:
Survey's can say anything: "Health written in the stars?"

On the quantum front: "Scientists Dubious of Quantum Claims"

This comic will be enjoyed by any grad student who teaches :)

Well, I better get back to working on my presentation for one of my classes. I am presenting a section of the book focusing on proving 3SAT is NP-Complete. Doesn't that sound like fun?

No comments: